To create your custom reading badges, follow 3 simple steps:
Add a Reading Badge
Once you have saved your badge set, you can start creating your custom badges.
There are two different types of badges you can create:
- Automatic badges—which will automatically be awarded to students who reach specific milestones you set based on the number of books they have read, the number of minutes they have read, and/or the number of pages they have read.
- Manual badges—which you can award manually to individual students, at your discretion, to recognize the efforts and/or progress they have made.
To add a badge to a badge set:
- Click “Add a Badge” to display the Badge Details screen.
- Enter a Badge Name.
- Enter a Badge Description, which your students will see on their badge page.
- Choose a Manual or Automatic Badge Type. A manual badge is one that you can award in a discretionary manner, and does not depend on any specific action your readers take within the app. An automatic badge will be awarded based on logging or other activity captured within the app.
If you have chosen Manual badge type, skip to step i. Otherwise:
- Choose a Challenge Type. That is, specify whether the badge will be awarded for the number of Books Read, Minutes Read, or Pages Read.
- Specify a Challenge Amount. For example, if you have chosen Minutes Read as your Challenge Type, then a Challenge Amount of 20 means that the badge will be awarded to students who have logged 20 minutes of reading.
- Enter Challenge Start and End Dates if you want only the activity logged between these dates to count toward the badge.
- To upload a badge image, choose a file from your computer that is no more than 500 Kb in size. Your image will be resized to 48px by 48px, so choose a square image for best results.
- Click Save.
❸ Activate a Reading Badge
After you have saved your badge, and when you are ready to make your badge available to your students, click the Activate Badge button. Until then, your students will not see your badge.
❹ Award a Reading Badge
After you have created your badge, a new “Awarded To” tab will be displayed.
If your badge is a Manual badge, you can award it to the student(s) of your choice by following these steps:
- Select the Awarded To tab from your Badge Details screen.
- Click on the “Award This Badge” button.
- From the pull-down menu, select the name of the student to whom you want to award the badge.
- Click Award This Badge.
Whether your badge is Automatic or Manual, the Awarded To tab will also show you which of your students have received this badge, and the date at which the date was obtained.
Looking for Creative Ways to Use Custom Badges?
In this post, discover 12 ways to use custom badges to turn your students into Super Readers.